Saturday, May 28, 2016

Save The Fingers Microwave Finger Gloves

Being a crocheter, I value my fingertips a whole lot.  That being said, I also use my microwave often, and I now mostly use glass to cook in.  After many times getting frustrated about using large hot pads, and way-to-large oven gloves to retrieve my hot bowl of rice and peas, I decided that I would make something small enough to handle smaller dishes but would also protect my delicate fingers.  Enter the "save the fingers microwave finger gloves"!  Easy to make and quite practical for small plates and bowls fresh out of the microwave.  Plus they're quite a conversation piece because someone will undoubtedly say "what the heck are those?" when they see them hanging on your hooks by the oven.


Here's how to make them

1. Start with a magic circle, and sc 8. Or chain 2, sc 8 in 1st ch. do not join.

2. Working in the round, sc in each sc for 9 or 10 rounds. You can mark the first stitch of each round, but it's easier if you just crochet until you reach the length of your middle knuckle. Finish off and weave in ends.

TIP after your second round use your finger to push out the forming tube and it will be easier to find the stitches.

3. Repeat Steps 1 and and 2 for each finger. For the thumb, sc 9 as a base because the thumb is wider. Fit should be tight as the cotton will stretch with use.

4.  After you finish the thumb, do not finish off. Ch 12 and join to next “finger” with slst. Slst in next 3 sts, ch 5 and join to next finger with slst. Repeat for next 3 “fingers”. Tip the reason for the 3 slsts in next finger is to center the chains between the “fingers”.
After last finger, finish off and weave in ends.

 They look crazy, right?! But they do help to prevent the burn from a hot dish!
And you won't risk damaging your valuable assets!
Written pattern is available in my Ravelry store HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment