Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My Prairie Star


I wanted to share this afghan I made as a wedding gift for my son and daughter-in-law last year.  I was cleaning up (yeah, that doesn't happen much) and found some of the charts I made, so I figured I would share.

I started by searching for an afghan that looked like a quilt, and I chose this pattern from Red Heart called Prairie Star Afghan as a starting point.  I started with a diagram for the pattern and filled it in with my chosen color scheme (my daughter-in-law loves purple and my son loves green).  I think the colors worked out well!

  Anyway I started with the diagram below.  Then I filled it in with colored pencils.  As the chart filled, I added my own increases to make it queen size.  I was shooting for measurements of 66 x 84 and it turned out to be a little bigger.

I filled in most of the chart before I started, but when the measurements needed to be much bigger than the original pattern, I charted as I went.
my chart filling up
 My chart almost done!
The finished product!  I was definitely a labor of love!




You can find the pattern and diagram for the Prairie Star Afghan HERE.  There is also an excellent YouTube tutorial for this pattern HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment